Welcome to all of our parents, carers and pupils of Year 5.
Teaching 5 Helen Sharman is Miss. Haughin. Teaching 5 Joseph Priestley is Miss. Javed. Our teaching support staff are Mrs Watson, Mrs. Khan and Mrs. Aktar.
In English, we will be looking at the book 'The Man Who Walked Between The Towers' and we will be writing a diary entry. We will be focusing on verbs, adverbs, fronted adverbials and cursive handwriting.
In Maths, we are looking at geometry including shape and direction. We will also be looking at place value. On Tuesday we complete an arithmetic test and on Thursday we have a times table test.
In Science, we are learning about forces and we will be learning to:
- explain that unsupported objects fall towards the Earth because of the force of gravity acting between the Earth and the falling object
- identify the effects of air resistance, water resistance and friction, that act between moving surfaces
- recognise that some mechanisms including levers, pulleys and gears allow a smaller force to have a greater effect
We have a weekly spelling test on a Friday morning and we give new spellings out every Friday afternoon.
Both classes have P.E. on Monday and Wednesday. On these days children are allowed to wear their P.E. kit for the whole day instead of their uniform.
At home it would be really beneficial if you could practise your times tables so that you have a fast recall when being tested and are fully fluent as these skills are essential when tackling more difficult problems in Maths. You could use the PIXL app, Sumdog and Maths Shed to help you with this.
Here are some useful links for your child to engage with learning at home. Your child will have been given log-in details.
Other ways to help at home:
- Make sure your child arrives at school ready to learn and on time.
- Ensure your child has correct school uniform and PE kit.
- Help your child complete their Homework every week.
- Read daily with your child from their school reading book, sign their reading record and send to school so their book can be changed.
- Practise number bonds, times tables and matching division facts.
- Practise the skills found in the booklet: ‘End of Year 5 Expectations’ with your child.