Welcome to all of our parents, carers and pupils of Year 4.
Teaching 4 David Hockney is Miss. Haughin and teaching 4 Barbara Hepworth is Mrs. Mir. Our teaching support staff are: Mrs. Briggs, Mrs. Malek and Miss Ahmed.
In English we are reading The Iron Man. We are learning to write a diary entry and a persuasive letter.
In Maths we are focusing on division and multiplication. We are looking at multiplying 2,3 and 4-digit numbers. We are also looking at different ways to divide, such as, using the bus-stop method.
In Science we are learning about Electricity, we will focus on the following NC objectives:
- identify common appliances that run on electricity
- construct a simple series electrical circuit, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers
- identify whether or not a lamp will light in a simple series circuit, based on whether or not the lamp is part of a complete loop with a battery
- recognise that a switch opens and closes a circuit and associate this with whether or not a lamp lights in a simple series circuit
- recognise some common conductors and insulators, and associate metals with being good conductors
On Fridays, a spelling list will be given to your child. Please practise these spellings with your child as they will have a spelling test every Thursday.
Both classes have P.E on Wednesday and Thursday. On these days children are allowed to wear their P.E. kit for the whole day instead of their uniform.
At home it would be really beneficial if you can practise your times tables, there is the expectation that all pupils in year 4 can recall their times tables up to 12X12 and there is a test at the end of the year. You could use the PIXL app, Sumdog and Maths Shed to help you with this.
If you have any questions feel free to email us: Year4@stmatthewsce.bradford.sch.uk