Welcome to all of our parents, carers and pupils of Year 4.
Teaching 4 David Hockney is Miss. Haughin and teaching 4 Barbara Hepworth is Mrs. Mir. Our teaching support staff are: Mrs. Briggs and Mrs. Malek.
In English we are reading different Greek Myths. We will focus on the skills of using a range of conjunctions, adverbs, fronted adverbials and including speech in our writing. We will be given the opportunity to write our own Greek Myth.
In Maths we are focusing on place value. We will be rounding numbers to the nearest 100 and 1000, comparing two 4 digit numbers and ordering a set of 4-digit numbers. We will move onto addition and subtraction and looking at formal written methods involving exchanging as well as one and two step reasoning questions.
In Science we are learning about Electricity, we will focus on the following NC objectives:
- identify common appliances that run on electricity
- construct a simple series electrical circuit, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers
- identify whether or not a lamp will light in a simple series circuit, based on whether or not the lamp is part of a complete loop with a battery
- recognise that a switch opens and closes a circuit and associate this with whether or not a lamp lights in a simple series circuit
- recognise some common conductors and insulators, and associate metals with being good conductors
In History, we will be learning about the Ancient Greeks. We will find out how the Ancient Greeks lived, the food they ate and the clothes they used to wear. We will also focus on the Ancient Greek Olympics. Our DT will link to our History topic in which we will make an Olympic torch using a variety of materials and fixings.
On Fridays, a spelling list will be given to your child. Please practise these spellings with your child as they will have a spelling test every Thursday.
Both classes have P.E on Wednesday and Thursday. On these days children are allowed to wear their P.E. kit for the whole day instead of their uniform.
At home it would be really beneficial if you can practise your times tables, there is the expectation that all pupils in year 4 can recall their times tables up to 12X12 and there is a test at the end of the year. You could use the PIXL app, Sumdog and Maths Shed to help you with this.
If you have any questions feel free to email us: Year4@stmatthewsce.bradford.sch.uk