Welcome to the Year One web page.
The class teachers are Miss Naaz and Miss Dorward. The learning support assistants are Miss Kitson and Mrs Akhtar.
Year 1 – Autumn term overview
In Maths we are focussing on Place value and addition and subtraction. We will be using lots of concrete objects to support our learning and will try and make Maths as practical as possible. I have included the Maths long term plan within this pack. At home: You could practise number formation and counting to 20 confidently.
In English our core texts this half term are 'Rumble in the Jungle' and 'Giraffes can’t dance'. We will be focusing on: letter formation, handwriting, using Phonics to help us write words and writing sentences using capital letters and full stops.
Our IPC topic this half term is: The Earth Our Home.
National Curriculum objectives we will cover during this unit:
- Identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees.
- Identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees.
Animals including Humans
- Identify and name a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
- Identify and name a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
- Describe and compare the structure of a variety of common animals (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, including pets).
- To use aerial photographs and plan perspectives to recognise landmarks.
- To be able to devise a simple map.
- To use simple fieldwork and observational skills to study the geography of their school and its grounds and the key human and physical features of its surrounding environment.
Please make sure you are using active learn to read every day. We will also be sending books home.
Please also remember to use Active learn for reading, Sumdog for Maths activities and Spelling shed for some fun spelling games.
When practising Phonics we have added some websites below that can be used.
Another website that is good for generating practise materials is:
PLEASE PRACTICE PHONICS TESTS EVERY DAY TO HELP YOU GET PREPARED FOR THE TEST IN JUNE.
If you have any questions feel free to email us: Year1@Stmatthewsce.bradford.sch.uk