Welcome to the Year One web page.
The class teachers are Miss Naaz and Miss Dorward. The learning support assistants are Miss Kitson and Mrs Akhtar.
Year 1 – Autumn 2 overview
In Maths this half term we are focussing on Multiplication and Division, Fractions and 2D shapes. We will be using lots of concrete objects to support our learning and will try and make Maths as practical as possible.
In English we will be doing History based writing on people of the past. We will be focusing on: letter formation, handwriting, using Phonics to help us write words and writing sentences using capital letters and full stops.
Our IPC topic this half term is: People of the past.
National Curriculum objectives we will cover during this unit:
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About the different decisions that rulers had to make in the past
- How to use a living graph to explore how a famous person might have been feeling
- About the life of a famous explorer using maps and role play
- How to compare the lives of two different explorers
- About the achievements of important scientists and inventors
- About what life was like at different times in the past
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
- What we can learn about a person from their portrait
- How to create a portrait of a friend
- About the work of famous artists
- How to paint a scene in the style of a famous artist
Please make sure you are using active learn to read every day. We will also be sending books home.
Please also remember to use Active learn for reading, Sumdog for Maths activities and Spelling shed for some fun spelling games.
When practising Phonics we have added some websites below that can be used.
Another website that is good for generating practise materials is:
PLEASE PRACTICE PHONICS TESTS EVERY DAY TO HELP YOU GET PREPARED FOR THE TEST IN JUNE.
If you have any questions feel free to email us: Year1@Stmatthewsce.bradford.sch.uk