Skip to content ↓

2 Does my child have a Special Educational Need?

Government guidance.

The SEND Code of Practice 2015 states, 'a child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.' Whilst According to the Equality Act 2010 you have a disability, ‘ if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.’ 

Where to get information.

Information from the Authority with regards to SEN can be found on the Bradford Local Offer, this webpage is detailed below.

Both the Local Authority and St Matthew's C of E Primary and Nursery School use Progress Grids to assess a child's level of need. School will then use the Bradford Matrix of need to support with planning provision for children. All of these documents can be found below. 

 Who to talk to

If you think your child may have 'Special Educational Needs' you could raise this with your child’s class teacher, Miss Keates (EYFS and KS1 SENDCo), Mrs Woodward (KS2 SENDC0) or your child's GP.  We also arrange drop ins for parents to seek advice from the Parental Involvement Officer (Mrs Lock),  our Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist  and SENCO (Miss Keates or Mrs Woodward.) Please feel free to see us at one of these sessions to discuss any concerns or information you may need. Alternatively you can arrange an appointment by calling the school office or emailing