We follow the White Rose Maths Scheme. Our long term plan can be found here.
At St Matthew’s Primary we empower our children with a ‘CAN DO’ attitude towards mathematics. We encourage the children to fully develop their understanding and knowledge of mathematics allowing them to achieve, have fun and become confident mathematicians.
We aim that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics that underpin conceptual understanding; that they can confidently recall and apply facts rapidly and accurately.
- Can solve problems by applying their knowledge and understanding of mathematics, with increasing degrees of sophistication, in a variety on contexts including real life situations, demonstrating the resilience to find a solution.
- Can make reasoned responses by following lines of enquiry to show their understanding with justification, argument, generalisation and evidence using mathematical language.
We believe that:
- Ability in mathematics is not fixed.
- Developing a positive mind set - a “Can Do” attitude - to mathematics is essential for success.
- Timely intervention addressing misconceptions is essential for success.
- The opportunity to “go deeper” must be offered to all children to broaden their understanding.
At St Matthew’s, we teach Maths daily. We want our children to leave our school as knowledgeable, positive and confident mathematicians; we want each individual child to have been able to fulfil their potential. We want each child to have the skills to be resilient when presented with the unfamiliar and the ability and confidence to question why. Therefore, we aim to ensure that almost all our pupils achieve the end of KS2 expected standard for Maths.