Miss Hayes & Mr Walter hope you will enjoy looking at our work and activities throughout the coming term. Miss Hayes teaches 5 Joseph Priestley and Mr Walter teaches 5 Helen Sharman. Our support staff are Mrs Akhtar and Mrs Khan.
In Summer 1, the children will be studying how different governments around the world work and how the system of governments work in our country in the unit 'Champions for Change'. They will also be taking part in their own mock election!
As well as this, they will also look at;
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
- About the system of government in different countries
- About different types of government around the world
- How to canvas opinion on what people think about the school/local area
- What makes a good leader
- How to write a successful political speech
In History, we’ll be finding out:
- About the origins of democracy
- How and why empires have been established
- About a historical campaign or revolution for change
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
- How to create our own party logos and campaign posters
In Summer 2, the children will be studying how bread is made in 'Bake It!'. The processes involved in bread-making can teach us how molecules behave in different materials (solids, liquids and gases) and how these materials can be changed.
In Science, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
- How live yeast grows
- How carbon dioxide behaves
- Which solids dissolve in water
- About water vapour and evaporation
- What happens when foods are heated
- About the properties of water
- About solids, liquids and gases
- How we can group everyday materials according to their properties
In Technology, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
- How to design and make a new brand of food
Our PE lessons are on a Wednesday morning and a Friday afternoon. Please ensure your child has the correct PE kit in school.
Homework is handed out on Friday and is returned by the following Wednesday.
Here are some useful links. Your child will have been given log-in details.
Ways to help at home:
- Make sure your child arrives at school ready to learn and on time.
- Ensure your child has correct school uniform and PE kit
- Help your child complete their Homework every week.
- Read daily with your child from their school reading book, sign their reading record and send to school so their book can be changed.
- Practise number bonds, times tables and matching division facts.
- Practise the skills found in the booklet: ‘End of Year 5 Expectations’ with your child.