Miss Hayes & Mr Murphy hope you will enjoy looking at our work and activities throughout the coming term. Miss Hayes teaches 5 Joseph Priestley and Mr Murphy teaches 5 Helen Sharman. Our support staff are Mrs Akhtar, Mrs Kittsen & Mr Maroof.
In Autumn 1, children will be looking at how forces affect our every day lives and learning about how they were discovered.
As well as this, they will also look at;
In Science, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
- How a ball ﬂies through the air
- What friction is and how it helps us
- How different objects fall
- What gravity is and how it pulls on objects
- How air resistance affects moving objects
- How water pushes up on ﬂoating objects
- Why some objects ﬂoat and others sink
In Technology, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
- How to make a sailing boat or ﬂying paper plane
In Autumn 2, we will be learning all about space and our planet, Earth.
We will also learn:
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
- How we can prove that Earth is a sphere
- What our planet is made of
- If the Earth is a magnet
- About the Earth’s atmosphere
- Why we need the Sun
- How the Sun, Earth and Moon are connected
- Why the Earth’s rotation results in day and night
- How to make a shadow clock
- How the tilt of Earth’s axis gives us the seasons
- How the Moon affects the Earth
- If there is a better place to live than Earth
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
- About the Saturn and Soyuz rockets
- How we can make a model rocket
5HS have P.E. on a Monday and Wednesday afternoon.
5JP have P.E. on a Tuesday and Thursday afternoon.
Please make sure your child has their P.E. kit in school on these days.
Here are some useful links. Your child will have been given log-in details.
Ways to help at home:
- Make sure your child arrives at school ready to learn and on time.
- Ensure your child has correct school uniform and PE kit
- Help your child complete their Homework every week.
- Read daily with your child from their school reading book, sign their reading record and send to school so their book can be changed.
- Practise number bonds, times tables and matching division facts.
- Practise the skills found in the booklet: ‘End of Year 5 Expectations’ with your child.