Welcome to all of our parents, carers and pupils to Year 3.
Teaching Class 3 Titus Salt is Ms Iqbal and Mrs Shaw. Teaching Class 3 Samuel Lister is Mrs Sattar. Our Learning Support Assistants are Mrs Devi, Mrs Wilford and Miss Kittson. Our 1:1 LSA's are Mrs Morris-Hughes and Miss Ibraar. This is the first year of Key Stage 2 and will be an exciting chance for the children to grow and mature as they enter this very important phase of their time in Primary school education.
Our title for our topic this term is 'Stone Age to the Iron Age'.
During this unit we will be focusing on History and Art
In History, we’ll be finding out:
• How fossils are made and what we can learn from them
• What our earliest ancestors might have looked like
• How our ancestors were able to survive
• How to use archaeological evidence to find out about a prehistoric hunter
• Where our ancestors settled and how they lived
• How we can learn about the past by investigating a Stone Age village
• What life was like during the Bronze Age and Iron Ages
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
• How to create our own prehistoric cave paintings
In Science we’ll be:
• Comparing and grouping together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties.
Recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
In English, we are basing our reading and writing around the book 'Stone Age Boy'; this links in well with our Topic. We will be focusing on writing a diary entry using expanded noun phrases, varied conjunctions, time adverbs and prepositions. For non-fiction, we will be writing a non-chronological report about the Stone Age era. In Mathematics we will focus on Place Value, Fractions, Addition and Subtraction and Geometry. We will develop fluency within these areas and begin to apply our learning by solving a variety of problems including reasoning and problem-solving.
As part of our Physical Education curriculum, we will be going swimming on a Friday morning to our local sports centre this year. Please ensure your child brings a swimming kit, including a towel, every Friday. We are also focusing on Badminton skills this term.
For homework, we would ask that you try to read with your child and practise timetables or counting daily. For our Super Six and topic homework please see the separate section for ideas.
At the end of this half term, we will be inviting parents to join us, where all the pupils will have the opportunity to share their learning.
Ms Iqbal, Mrs Sattar and Ms Shaw.