What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil each year for the next two years - here at St Matthew’s that means around £9,884 a year.
Purpose of the funding:
The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools but schools have the freedom to decide how they will do so. This could include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sports clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/Sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/Sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules for PE/Sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits