Homework is set weekly on a Thursday, to be returned the following Wednesday. Homework is in the format of a mindmap with a range of activites for the children to complete. This will reflect the learning that we have been carrying out in class and aims build upon this. It is important that the children complete their homework weekly in order to consolidate their learning.
The children are given new reading books weekly and read with a member of staff in the setting before these books are changed. Staff will write a comment in your child's reading record before changing their book and it is useful if you are able to comment too. Children will also be given an active learn username and password where they will be able to access reading books online from home.
Yellow / Pink / Green / Blue Words
Children are given a file with different coloured words in. You are encouraged to practise these at home as these are known as 'high frequency words.' These are words that children come across on many occasions when reading and that the children are not able to 'sound out' using their phonics.
Other ways to help your child at home
There are many useful ways in which you can help your child at home. These include:
- Practising name writing
- Counting steps, jumps, hops etc
- Encouraging children to make a shopping list before going to the shops!
- Talking about your day at home / school / work
- Showing your child different coins
- Going on a shape hunt!
- Practising getting changed / dressed / zipping up coat / taking coat and shoes on and off
- Pretending to be a robot and sound talking! For example: can you pass me the p-e-n